Monday, June 15, 2009

our city...

I see our local Farmer's Market is being moved to a different place, for the next two weekends (20th June & 27th June). This is one of those "notification" kind of things, that occured AFTER I had already attended the market on Saturday. One of our customers brought in a flier, to make those of us here--aware of the change. (Some things NEVER cease to amaze me!)

I look at two towns-one just west of us...the other east of us in the next county. Both of these are small towns...but have fairly amazing Farmer's Markets. I've asked myself on many occasions, "Why aren't we mirroring some of their techniques--and--becoming as well known as they currently are--for the types of vendors...as well as the foods they offer?" When I am downtown at our local Farmer's Market--the ever constant comment that's spoken...time and time again..."Oh, you really need to go to St. John-their's is REALLY better than this...or--You really need to go to Chesterton because, they have amazing stuff that I've not seen anywhere else..."

I have never heard these kind of comments about OUR Farmer's Market! Why?

It's been made to sound like the "planners" had to scrape the bottom of the barrel, just to get what we have--to show up! I hope this is not true!

We have an amazing city...we have a beautiful downtown--we have many "local" farmers. What's missing here? Is it patron participation? Is it vendor participation? Or perhaps...is it both?


No comments:

Post a Comment